Below are some the frequently asked questions and their responses. Please feel free to contact us for information by calling us at the office at 509.525.2034.

What happens when people who entered the U.S. without documents or stayed beyond their visas?

While most undocumented people must wait for Immigration Reform, there are people who may be eligible for Immigration Relief and do not know it. These may include victims of domestic violence and other violent crimes, spouses of U.S. Citizens, abandoned children, and others. You can trust Wendy to provide confidential, accurate information as you plan for your future.


Is there a consultation fee?

There is a $100.00 initial consultation fee due at the appointment time. You are under no obligation to continue your case with our office, however, if you do, the consultation fee will be credited to the total cost of your case.


What should I bring to the consultation? 

In order to use your time effectively, we will need to review any documents you have such as:

  • Any previous Immigration paperwork
  • Proof of your entry into the U.S.
  • Your passport, I.D.
  • Your birth and Marriage Certificates
  • Any other documents you  believe might be helpful


I don’t speak English, are there interpreters available?

At our office we have Spanish interpreters available to assist you during your consultation with Wendy. We are also open to you bringing your own interpreter whenever needed.


Are payment plans available?

If you needed medical treatment that would change your life, you would want to pay a physician who had the experience and expertise to care for you. Similarly, you do not want to take a chance on your life here in America or that of your family member. Immigration cases are time-consuming and require specialized knowledge. For this reason, legal representation is expensive. If needed, we will work with you to establish payment plans so that payment is possible for your family.


Are you willing to talk at community events or hold community presentations?

Wendy is passionate about educating the Walla Walla Community on Immigration issues. She is available for employee training or more general group presentations at no cost. You are welcome to call or email anytime to schedule a presentation.


What is going to happen with DACA with the new president?

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) is an Executive Action signed into law by President Obama and it can easily be terminated with a stroke of a pen. There are no guarantees of anything, as of now, we’re unsure of what’s going to happen with DACA after January 20, 2017 (Presidential Inauguration).

What should first-time DACA applicants file their application?

Some attorneys advise first time applicants to wait and see what happens with DACA while others say submit sooner rather than later. Processing time of initial applications are much longer than renewals, especially now with the current delay. Also, be aware of the risk of losing your money with an initial application while also providing your information to the government. The number of unknowns is what has led to the split between what’s best to do with first-time applicants. Many are informing clients and letting them decide what to do. 


Should I renewal my DACA?

There is more of an agreement with renewals, submit ASAP! The processing time is less than an initial application and the government already has your information on file. However, even filing now the processing of the application will be after January 20th, 2017, with no guarantee of how long DACA will be around after that so you might lose your money. 

How early can I submit my DACA renewal?

Submit as early as you can! Check out this handy calculator (at the bottom of the nilc age) that will let you know the earliest and latest you can submit: www.nilc.org/issues/daca/dacarenewalcalculator/. USCIS suggests at least 150 days before your work card expires and no later than 120 days.


How much does it cost to file a DACA application?

Although, the DACA form, I-821D, itself doesn’t have a filing fee, the work authorization (work permit) form does– previously it costs $465 to file DACA but as of December 23, 2016 filing fees increased– both initial and renewal applications will cost $495.


I have a pending application and need to call USCIS, how do I prepare to do that?

Dial 1-800-375-5283 and have this information ready: applicants’ full name, “alien” registration number (A#), application receipts numbers, receipt dates, and information you provided on form.


Have a pending DACA renewal application and worried about the processing delay? 

Check your case status online. Look at your receipt notices you received in the mail from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), and go to https://www.uscis.gov/:

  1. Click on “Check your Case Status” on the homepage
  2. Type in your receipts number (for DACA begins with IOE followed by 10 numbers)

Check the case status of both receipts but your work authorization receipt (Form I-765) is the one linked to your work permit card.

If this message appears, “On (your receipt date), we scheduled you for a biometrics (fingerprints) appointment and mailed you an appointment notice for (your receipt #). Please follow the instructions in the notice…” This means your application is still in processing.

*Between the time, you have been scheduled and completed your biometrics (fingerprints) to the time the decision is made, there are no online updates, so the message above will be displayed until a decision is made.

Is there a way of knowing what applications USCIS is processing?

You can check on what applications the Service Centers processing applications are on. The processing times are updated once a month around mid-month. By checking this you can confirm whether your application is “outside of normal processing time.”

For example, an application is at the Nebraska Service Center (NSC) and the receipt notice says application was received on May 10th, but the NSC is currently on June 4th forms. The application is “outside of normal processing time;” meaning you can call USCIS (1-800-375-5283) and ask what’s going on and they will help you submit a “outside of processing time” inquiry. Usually takes 15 days or so to get a response from USCIS.

To Check Service Center Processing Times:

  1. Scroll down on the ‘Check your Case Status’ page on the USCIS website and click on “USCIS Processing Times Information” and click on “Visit Page” button
  2. Scroll down, select the Service Center your application is at. The first receipt notice you received through the mail lets you know which one (can be located at the bottom left corner of receipt)
  3. Click “Service Center Processing Dates” button
  4. Scroll down and look for I-821D, Consideration for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, and there you’ll find the application dates USCIS is currently processing. 


What causes a delay on processing times?

Certain factors like travel, even with advanced parole, or criminal history can delay the application processing time. As well as, changing your mailing address after submitting your application because you will need to submit a change of address (Form AR-11) which will slow down the processing of the application.

I want to apply for a Travel Document (advanced parole), should I?

You can apply but there are no guarantees it will be approved and valid after January 20th 2017. There are ways to expedite the processing, but we don’t recommend DACA recipients to travel outside of the US after January 20th, 2017. Anyone currently outside of the US we recommend you return before that date.

What should I do if I have a pending or approved Travel Document but my DACA renewal is pending?

You should plan not to travel outside the US on or after the date your current DACA expires, no matter the reason. If you do, there will be serious immigration consequences.

What happens to my Social Security Number (SSN) if DACA is terminated?

We’re not sure what going to happen with DACA SSNs but what we do know is a SSN is attached to the person for life. However, we’re not sure if it’ll be valid if DACA is terminated. But that’s the number you’ll have if you get immigration relief through other means.